Ever wanted to send photos, videos, and messages on Instagram that magically disappear after being seen? Well, you’re in luck! With vanish mode, any messages, videos, or photos you send in direct messages vanish from the chat after the recipient opens them, just like on Snapchat. It’s super simple to activate vanish mode, making it a cool way to protect your privacy while staying connected with your followers.
If you’re curious and want to know more about vanish mode on Instagram, you’re in the right place.
This article will cover everything about Vanish Mode on Instagram, including what it is, how it works, how to use it, and why you might want to use it.
What is the Vanish Mode on Instagram?
Instagram’s vanish mode allows users to send messages, photos, videos, and other content that automatically disappears from Instagram’s direct messages. The shared text and media vanish when someone exits the chat or turns off vanish mode.
Similar to Snapchat’s self-erasing feature, vanish mode needs to be manually activated and is limited to two-person chats, not group chats.
By default, vanish mode is turned off in the app, and users need to enable it manually before using the feature. It’s available on Android and iPhone but not on Windows and Mac.
How to Turn on Vanish Mode?
To activate vanish mode on Instagram, follow these simple steps:
Step 1: Open Instagram on your mobile phone; this feature is not available on Instagram’s computer app or web version. Click on the chats icon at the top right corner of your phone’s screen to access Instagram’s direct messages. Choose the chat where you want to enable vanish mode.
Step 2: Slide up from the bottom of the screen to activate Vanish Mode for the selected chat.
Step 3: Upon entering vanish mode, Instagram will switch to dark mode, and playful emojis will fall from the top of your screen, indicating that vanish mode is active.
Keep in mind that the other person will be notified when you activate vanish mode during the chat. If they decline your request or express that they do not want to use this mode, you won’t be able to activate it.
Make sure you have the latest version of the Instagram app to use this feature. If you don’t see it on Instagram, you might be using an outdated app version, or the feature might not be available in your region.
Additionally, if vanish mode is enabled in the chat, you’ll see a small dashed circle next to their username in the chat list.
Also, Read This: How To Remove Threads From Instagram Profile
How to Turn Off Vanish Mode?
Now that we’ve covered how to turn on vanish mode on Instagram, there might be times when you want to turn it off and have a regular chat, saving the conversation for future memories. Let’s learn how to disable vanish mode:
Step 1: Open the Instagram chat and select the conversation where the vanish mode is currently active.
Step 2: Swipe up from the bottom of the chat until you see the message “Release to turn off Disappear Mode.” Release your swipe to turn off vanish mode.
Once vanish mode is turned off, the screen will return to the standard view. You can send a new message in the chat to confirm that vanish mode is indeed turned off.
Vanish mode various Features
Instagram’s Vanish Mode offers various features for private and temporary messaging:
- Messages: Text messages sent in Vanish Mode vanish once both you and the recipient exit the chat or exit Vanish Mode.
- Media: Photos, videos, and voice messages also disappear after being viewed in Vanish Mode.
- Links: Shared links remain accessible until the chat is closed, but the preview thumbnail and title vanish for both users once viewed.
- No Chat History: Disappearing messages and media leave no traces in the chat history when Vanish Mode is active.
- Read Receipts: While you can see if the recipient has opened the chat in Vanish Mode, you won’t receive specific read receipts for individual messages.
- Typing Indicators: No typing indicators are displayed while someone is composing a message in Vanish Mode.
- Individual Control: You can enter or exit Vanish Mode at any time during a chat.
- One-on-One Chats: Vanish Mode is currently available only for private, one-on-one chats, not group conversations.
- Notifications: Both users receive notifications about entering and exiting Vanish Mode, but not about specific message content.
- Reporting: Although messages disappear, they can still be reported if they violate Instagram’s Community Guidelines.
- Screenshots: Remember, anyone can take screenshots of vanishing content before it disappears.
- Screen Recordings: Screen recordings can also capture Vanish Mode content.
- Accessibility: Vanish Mode might not be completely accessible to users with screen readers or certain visual impairments.
Overall, Vanish Mode provides a way to have more private and temporary conversations on Instagram, but it’s important to be aware of its limitations and use it responsibly.
Yes, someone can know if you have turned on vanish mode in your Instagram chat with them.
Unfortunately, no, Vanish Mode chats on Instagram cannot be recovered once they disappear. This is the whole point of the feature – messages automatically self-destruct once viewed and the chat is closed. This applies to both you and the recipient – neither can access the content once it’s gone.
In this article, we’ve provided you with detailed information about Instagram’s Vanish Mode and its features. If you found this article helpful, share it with your friends. Thank you for reading!